Find it Fast: Search for it

Click here to search policies

Formal Complaints

We are a learning organisation and complaints are really important to us; they help us to identify faults or areas for improvements.

We treat any complaint seriously and in complete confidence, ensuring your complaint does not affect your current or future treatment.

If you would like to make a complaint, this should normally be made within twelve months of the event you wish to complain about, or within twelve months of the date you found out about the problem. To do this, you can either:

  • complete the feedback form below

    You should be aware that this web form is not a secure method of transferring information. We are not able to guarantee the security of personal or confidential information submitted on-line before we receive the information.

    The information submitted using this form will be held and used in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998. The Data Controller is South Staffordshire and Shropshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust. The Trust will not disclose such information to any unauthorised person or body but where appropriate will use such information in responding to your complaint. The Trust will store this data in an electronic format and may also use this data in connection with the prevention or detection of fraud or other crime.

    150 characters left


  • send a letter, addressed to:

Chief Executive
Freepost WV2103
South Staffordshire and Shropshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust
St George's Hospital
Corporation Street
ST16 3SR

  • telephone Freephone 0800 318850 or 01785 783026 betweem 9.00am and 5.00pm (outside of these hours there is an answerphone)
  • complete and forward by Freepost the Formal Complaints section of the "Are You Satisfied – We're here to help" leaflet, which is available in all premises or can be obtained from any member of staff.


We aim to:

  • acknowledge your complaint within three working days following the date of receipt and will arrange for an Investigating Officer to contact you to discuss your concerns further
  • investigate all issues raised with respect, fairness, confidentiality and without prejudice to the service user
  • provide a full response by the method you would prefer, within the agreed timescale. If your preferred method of response is verbal (by telephone or a meeting), the content of this discussion will be confirmed in writing
  • if you remain dissatisfied with our response or would like clarification, we can arrange for a senior officer of the Trust or the Investigating Officer to contact you.


Complaints about NHS service provision from 1 April 2013

As an alternative to making a complaint to the Trust directly, you may wish to contact NHS England or your local Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG). Further information can be obtained by visiting:
or by contacting the Customer Services Department on Freephone 0800 318850 or 01785 783026.


The Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman

After we have taken all possible action to resolve your complaint locally, if you still remain dissatisfied, you can refer your complaint for consideration to the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman, by writing to:

Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman

Millbank Tower

Complaints Helpline Telephone No: 0345 015 4033

You can also contact the Health Service Ombudsman from a textphone on 0300 061 4298 if you are deaf or have problems using a standard telephone.


NHS Complaints Advocacy

NHS Complaints Advocacy provides support and confidential advice to guide complainants through the NHS complaints process. This is a free service and is not part of the NHS. The following contact details may be helpful to you:

For complainants residing in Shropshire, NHS Complaints Advocacy can be contacted, by telephone, on 0300 456 2370, Monday to Friday, 0900 hours-1700 hours. This service is provided by POhWER.

For complainants residing in Staffordshire, this service is provided by Healthwatch Staffordshire and can be contacted on 0800 161 5600 or email .
Similarly, for complainants not living in Staffordshire or Shropshire, please contact Healthwatch Staffordshire and they will be able to signpost you to the relevant advocacy service in your area.


Feedback on the service received from Customer Services

If you have been in contact with the Customer Services Department, please fill in this short questionnaire regarding the service you received.


Care Quality Commission

If you are a service user detained under the Mental Health Act, as an alternative to using the Trust's Complaint's Procedure, you can ask the Care Quality Commission to take forward your concerns. An explanatory leaflet is available on all wards.

Share this page